This Copycat Zupa’s Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup is a keeper! Great for the summer when you don’t want to turn the oven on, and still great in the winter when you just want to cuddle under a blanket and not worry about making dinner!
You know, when it starts getting warm outside, I stop wanting to turn on my oven. It can be a killer on a hot day, despite what the thermostat for my A/C says.
Enter: Crockpot. Not only does it save me from the heat, but it seriously has divine powers. You throw ingredients in the pot, leave it, and hours later go enjoy a dinner that tastes like you slaved all day over it. And this Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup is seriously a breeze to prepare. Basically all of the ingredients are canned, so you literally just dump in your goods and then let it do its crockpot magic.
Sidenote: we’re trying to get more crockpot recipes on the blog – the hard part is, we don’t always have the best measurements because often it seems like we just “throw stuff in” till it tastes good. But we’ll keep working on it and get some more up. I guess it just goes to show that lots of crockpot recipes are very flexible and you can adjust them easily to your taste.
I really don’t know where to give credit where credit is due on this recipe. I found a lot of different chicken enchilada soup recipes through Pinterest and kinda just pulled stuff I liked from each one to imitate the Chicken Enchilada Soup from one of my favorite quick meal restaurants, Zupa’s.
Btw, go follow us on Pinterest if you’d like – we have some fun stuff going on over there with our boards – a rainbow of ingredients, you could say…..and there’s our shameless plug for the year.
- 1 pound frozen chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon (approximately 6 cloves) minced garlic
- 1 small (10-oz) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 small (10-oz) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (15 oz) can evaporated milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the first 10 ingredients in crock pot.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Pull out chicken, shred, and put back in the crock pot.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter on medium heat.
- Add flour until it forms a paste.
- Add evaporated milk and stir until it begins to boil and thicken.
- Pour the mixture into the crock pot, mix and cook for 1 more hour.
- Serve with tortilla chips, cheese, cilantro, and avocado.
Latest posts by -Tam | Food Apparel (see all)
- Easy Homemade Coconut Milk Recipe + a Blendtec 625 Professional Series Giveaway! - May 11, 2015
- Dairy-Free Coconut Horchata Recipe - May 1, 2015
- Healthy Apple Bran Muffin Recipe (Mini-Style) - April 30, 2015