Ben’s sister got me hooked on this delicious granola while on a very long road trip to Yellowstone National Park…..and while driving through the park…..and while hiking…..and while chilling out at the campsite……you get the idea. It’s good. It’s simple. It’s the perfect amount of chewiness. It has a nice light hint of honey to it.
And an additional bonus of this granola is the great aroma that fills your house while you are baking it.
Sweet Honey Granola
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cups honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds optional
- 1/2 cup raisins optional
Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a large bowl, mix together oats, coconut, wheat germ, brown sugar and powdered milk.
In small saucepan, combine oil, vanilla and honey. Heat slightly over low heat until dissolved.
Add to dry mix and toss, coating evenly.
Spread granola mixture onto cookie sheet.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring every 5 minutes.
Cool completely and store in air-tight container.
Change it up:
1. If you don't have wheat germ, try wheat bran or oat bran, or simply add one cup of extra oats in place of the wheat germ.
2. Instead of raisins, try dried cranberries or blueberries (can add before baking, or after).
Dress it up:
1. For cinnamon granola, add 1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon to dry ingredients.
2. Add 1/4-1/2 cup slivered almonds to the mix before baking.
Dress it down:
Eliminate all the nuts and dried fruit frills to keep it really simple. You can always just throw in a handful when you are serving anyway!
Latest posts by Christina | Food Apparel (see all)
- HOW TO DRESS UP YOUR BLACK BEANS: 5 WAYS - July 24, 2017
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Sage and Sausage Recipe - November 22, 2016
- Chewy Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe - November 12, 2015