1. It is absolutely essential to put a cookie sheet underneath the cake while baking. If not, you may be doing a thorough scrub down of your oven when you are done as a little caramel may leak out.
2. A 9-inch pan the perfect size for this recipe.
Smaller - you will incur some of the caramel bubbling over as mentioned above (you can try leaving out a little of the batter to avoid this).
Larger - the caramel won't bubble up the sides quite right - still delicious, but not living up to its full potential.
Change it Up:
1. Substitute approximately 6 fresh or canned pineapple rings in place of pears for the traditional Pineapple Upside-Down Cake.
2. Substitute 1-2 apples, peeled and thinly sliced and sprinkled with a little bit of cinnamon (and nutmeg) in place of the pears.
2. Replace ½ of the milk with juice from the canned fruit you are using for a denser, slightly sweeter, and deeper-colored cake.