When it comes to guacamole, the fresher the better for me. I like to enjoy the summery (is that even a word?) flavor it brings to my mouth. But I light to keep it light – no spicy guac for me! On an extra lazy day or if you don’t have the fresh produce on hand, you can make your own guacamole spice mix by using dried ingredients. A generally accepted substitution rule is 1:3 dried for fresh (i.e. 1 tsp dried = 3 tsp fresh).
Fresh and Light Guacamole
- 2 large avocados
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic 1/2 to 1 teaspoon, minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet onion minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt and pepper
Add first 5 ingredients into bowl and squish with a fork until desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste. If not using immediately, store with plastic wrap directly against guacamole.
Recipe NotesDress it Up:
1. If you enjoy your guac spicy, add one finely diced jalapeno pepper.
2. For corn guacamole, chop cooked kernels off of 1 to 2 cobs of corn and add to guacamole after mixing.
Change it Up:
1. Substitute dried seasonings for the garlic, onion, and cilantro. As a general rule, when substituting dried seasonings for fresh, use 1/3 as much as they are more concentrated.