For a quick boost of energy, try this healthy energy bites recipe! And here’s the secret…..your kids will even like them, or LOVE THEM!
Okay you guys, I’m a little busy body and I love to workout but sometimes I need a little pick me up when I have had an exhausting day or have just gotten home from the spin “sesh”. I tried a number of recipes from Pinterest for energy or protein bites and had a hard time finding one I loved so I had to experiment around a little. And boy, have we whipped up some good flavor combos for you with these Healthy Energy Bites! From almond butter, to peanut butter, to cashew butter……. and so many different mix-ins! I’m absolutely in love. And my kids love them so much they call them cookie dough balls!
You can buy the nut butters at a grocery store or health food store, or try your hand at making some homemade. We love using our Blendtec Twister Jar if we are grinding our own nut butters. It literally takes like 30 seconds. Kind of A.MA.ZING.
Our family favorite is the cashew butter mixed with butterscotch chips. But the possibilities with this are endless and it is so hard to fail with this recipe. And they are easy to alter. If they are too dry, add more of the nut butter or honey. If they are too sticky, throw in more oats.
Here are some of our favorite flavor combos:
- almond butter, maple/honey , cinnamon, dried cranberries, white chocolate chip
- cashew butter, honey and butterscotch chip
- peanut butter, honey and cocoa nib or chocolate chip
- peanut butter, honey, sunflower seeds and dried cranberries
- peanut butter, honey, cocoa powder, and coconut
- almond butter, honey, cocoa powder, coconut (“Almond Joy”)
If you have nut allergies at your home, try these with sun butter (made from sunflower seeds). Or if you are a die-hard vegan and honey is not part of the menu, try using agave nectar for your sweetener. See, like I said, this recipe has a version for EVERYONE!
Which one sounds yummiest to you? One listed above? Or your own unique concoction? Tell us below.
Healthy Energy Bites Recipe aka Healthy Cookie Dough Balls
- 1/2 cup peanut for nut free homes, use sun butter, cashew, or almond butter
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed I prefer the golden
- 1 cup rolled oats quick cooking or old fashioned
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup can also use agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- teaspoon up to 1/2 cinnamon optional
- 2-4 tablespoons craisins can use sweetened or unsweetened, cocoa nibs, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, sunflower seeds, coconut flakes
In a large bowl, mix nut butter, flax seed, oats, sweetener, vanilla, and cinnamon (optional).
Stir in your desired mix-ins.
With a small scoop or spoon, scoop out bites and roll into 1 tablespoon balls.
Refrigerate until hard and store in bag.
Recipe NotesDress it Up:
Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder for a chocolate energy bite.
We whipped these up on Fox 13’s The Place. They are so easy and so fast to make! Check out the video: