Need a creative way to help your kids get a variety of healthy food? Ice cube trays + leftover odds and ends = Snack Lunch = Happy Children!
It’s time for school and it’s always a juggle around our place. Some kids staying, some kids coming, some going…..sometimes making a meal midday gets the best of me, and my children end up eating half a box of crackers while I recover from all of the craziness. One day my better half, being the child-minded man around here, threw a bunch of snacks in an ice cube tray and called it “snack lunch”. Ever since then, my kids think it is their lucky day when I whip out the ice cube trays.
This is great for the summers, on any old lazy day, and also when the kids come back from school!
It’s great for the day after I go grocery shopping and have a huge variety of food.
It is even better for the end of the week when I need to use up random foods, but can’t come up with anything logical to make out of them. The kids have a blast and they get a little more healthy variety than crackers so it’s a win-win!
Some of our favorite things to put into snack lunches:
- Veggies: carrots, cucumbers, broccoli florets, bell peppers
- Fruit: strawberries, blueberries, dried mangoes, dried cranberries
- Protein: peanuts, almonds, cashews, pecans, pepperoni, cheese cubes
- Crackers: pretzel sticks, graham crackers, goldfish, or whatever else you have!
- Dips: yogurt, ranch, hummus
- Sweet: chocolate chips, marshmallows
- Find all of your healthy leftovers!
- Veggies: carrots cucumbers, broccoli florets, bell peppers
- Fruit: strawberries blueberries, dried mangoes, dried cranberries
- Protein: peanuts almonds, cashews, pecans, pepperoni, cheese cubes
- Crackers: pretzel sticks graham crackers, goldfish, or whatever else you have!
- Dips: yogurt ranch, hummus
- Sweet: chocolate chips marshmallows
Whip out the ice cube trays.
Let your kids help you fill the trays with a variety of their favorites, including fruits, veggies, proteins, dip, and of course, a little treat!
You will be amazed at how much fun they have with this. Anytime I do it, "snack lunch" is requested for many days to come.