Product and Compensation were furnished for this post by Tritan™ from Eastman.
For a refreshing summer drink, try this popular Agua Fresca that hails from Mexico, Agua de Sandia, aka, Watermelon!
So, you probably know by now that I like to get together with my extended family often. Because I love them. Yes. But also because we throw great food bashes. I’m telling ya. Never to disappoint. I mean, I’m talking smoked meats, fabulous dips, over the top desserts. The list goes on…… Luckily this is on my side of the family, and my husband’s side. The biggest problem we have is on the holidays when we have to choose (so we usually just go to both – ha!)
Well, for our last get-together, I wanted to do drinks, because sometimes drinks just get overlooked. And well, we just can’t have that, right? Drinks are important, too! I was feeling fruity, so I whipped up some Agua de Pina (Pineapple), and also this Agua de Sandia (Watermelon).
Have you ever had Aguas Frescas before? If not, you are truly missing out. Basically take any amazing fruit (watermelon, pineapple, guava, strawberry), and pulverize it! Add water, sugar, strain out the pulp, and you got it. Amazing refreshing fruity drinks that are out of this world. Seriously.
Here are my tips for an AMAZING finish:
- So, I use a whole medium watermelon. Cut and chill in advance. It will make your life soooo much easier when time to make. Because cutting a watermelon kind of takes forever.
- DO NOT, however, make the juice in advance. It really only stays good for about a day.
- I am giving measurement estimates for the melon to water to sugar. It depends a lot on the ripeness and sweetness of your particular watermelon. So some taste testing along the way will get you the best result.
- I LOVE serving this with some lime wedges on the side. The sweet and tang is a for sure win!
- Always serve on ice. Any agua fresca is just soooo much better super duper cold.
- Strain. Some people do, some people don’t. I don’t like pulp. I want it smooth. Trust me, I’m right on this one! 😉
Well give some of this amazing Agua de Sandia a try and serve it at your next big gathering – it’s a for sure win!
Agua de Sandia Recipe (Watermelon Agua Fresca)
- 1 Medium-Sized Watermelon rind removed, and chopped
- Water to taste
- Sugar to taste
Fill your blender to the fill line with watermelon chunks.
Add water to the fill line.
Pulverize that melon!
Strain through a fine mesh strainer into your serving container (to catch any extra seeds or pulp).
Continue until you have blended all the melon.
Take a quick taste of the juice (before you sweeten with any sugar). I usually don't add any more water at this point, but you can if you want.
Add sugar to taste, usually 1-2 cups.
When we get together, there’s quite a crowd, so I have to use a HUGE MOTHER LOAD drink dispenser. Can you believe I used to do fancy drinks and didn’t own one of these? Well, when everyone else started getting them and I was still using a little pitcher like a sucker (or even worse a “punch bowl” – really, who uses those anymore? not this girl -) I finally begged and caved and picked one up. It’s been decent, but I’m always afraid that it’s going to fall apart because it’s just a tad bit flimsy.
So seriously guys, I was kind of amazed at this dispenser (pictured above) that I was sent from Eastman featuring Tritan™ plastic. I’m not just saying that. It kind of blew my old beverage dispenser out of the water. The whole design is just fantastic (sturdy fit into base, non-slide base, locked-in ice cone), and the biggest check in my book – the plastic is super sturdy. With my old dispenser, I have always been so paranoid that I’m going to be carrying it around and drop it and it will shatter and spill a million gallons of sticky drink all over my floor. Not cool. This plastic – I seriously don’t even know how to compare the quality. It’s just so much thicker, it’s scratch and shatter resistant…..it’s like plastic on steroids basically. And it’s crystal clear and honestly gives the appearance of glass which is super classy, IMO. I feel like I can and will use it a million times and it will still look great! I’m never going back…..NEVER! Hahahaha (this is me in my conquest of the world if you couldn’t tell…..)
Do you have a favorite agua fresca? Tell me which one you can’t live without! 😉
Latest posts by Food Apparel (see all)
- The Underground Culinary Tour: A Must Read for Budding Restauranteurs - January 31, 2017
- Food Hack Attack! Why I love Dessert and Booze Hacks by Peggy Wang (Founding Editor of BuzzFeed) - January 16, 2017
- Agua de Sandia Recipe (Watermelon Agua Fresca) - May 17, 2016