For a thick and tasty chocolate comfort drink, try this Italian Hot Chocolate Recipe!
Italian Hot Chocolate Recipe (aka Hot Chocolate Lava)
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup chocolate or chocolate chips approx 6 ounces, finely chopped or ground in food processor
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-3 tablespoons sugar depending on how bitter the chocolate you use
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Warm milk over medium low heat until scalding. Make sure to stir frequently to not burn on bottom of the pan.
While milk is warming, mix cornstarch, sugar, and ground chocolate.
Add chocolate mixture to hot milk.
Cook until slightly thickened (30 seconds to 2 minutes).
Add vanilla and remove from hot pan immediately.
Have you ever had Italian Hot Chocolate? It’s somewhere of a mix between your traditional hot chocolate and a tasty chocolate pudding. We have just the right combo so you can get the thick (but not too thick) and rich chocolatey goodness.
The biggest trick that we’ve found is not putting in too much cornstarch. Although you want it thick, you don’t want it gloppy and you don’t want to taste any cornstarch residue.
If you are just looking for a rich and hearty European Style Hot Chocolate, not so much of the pudding variety, skip the cornstarch, and just go straight dark chocolate and milk/heavy cream (or half-and-half). I’m warning you though – it’s rich!
Pin it for Later:
Need more hot chocolate ideas?:
Latest posts by Food Apparel (see all)
- The Underground Culinary Tour: A Must Read for Budding Restauranteurs - January 31, 2017
- Food Hack Attack! Why I love Dessert and Booze Hacks by Peggy Wang (Founding Editor of BuzzFeed) - January 16, 2017
- Agua de Sandia Recipe (Watermelon Agua Fresca) - May 17, 2016