So the Superbowl was….well, a dud, right? Good thing we can move on to bigger and better things now, like getting our dessert on in preparation for Valentine’s Day! Watch out the next few recipe posts for some fun desserts to impress your special someone.
Cupcakes are all the rage right now. Every bakery I go to has cupcakes. Denver has soooo many cupcake bakeries. I frequented a lot when I lived there. I think my favorite one in the Denver area is My Big Fat Cupcake in Cherry Creek. They put so much thought into their cupcakes. Moist, flavorful, and many with delicious fillings. The ideas that flow through my brain when I enter that store are endless.
Plus on a hot summer day, no one wants cupcakes, so you go in and can buy half off yesterday’s cupcakes when they open. Then, you can go eat them in the grass. And while your kids play on the playground, you take a bite of each of theirs. To taste test of course. Can you tell I’m ready for warmer weather? Daydreaming…..
Anyway, enough about my bakery splurges. You must try these Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Fudgy Chocolate Frosting. These are the best vanilla cupcakes I have ever made. The flavor is anything but boring, they are moist and they have cute little vanilla bean seed speckles.
As for the frosting, a touch of melted chocolate and sour cream makes it smooth and fudgy. Worth it for sure!
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeded
- 1 cup (2 cubes) unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 ounces (approximately ¼ cup) milk or dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cupcake pans with liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In another bowl mix beat butter, sugar and vanilla bean seeds until fluffy, about three minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time beating until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl between each egg.
- Mix in vanilla extract and buttermilk.
- Add one third of flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk mixture until combined, and ending with the flour mixture.
- Fill cupcake cups two thirds the way full and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a the cupcake springs back.
- Remove cupcakes and cool on rack.
- Beat butter, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar on medium speed until smooth.
- Add vanilla and salt and blend until smooth.
- Add sour cream one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
- Add melted chocolate in a slow stream while beating frosting on medium speed. (If you don't beat while adding, chocolate may seize up.)
- Beat on high until fluffy.
- Pipe frosting onto each cupcake, using your desired tip.
- If desired, sprinkle additional chocolate shavings onto cupcakes for garnishment.
Don't want the frosting as rich and fudgy? Just leave out the last step of adding the melted chocolate.
Latest posts by -Tam | Food Apparel (see all)
- Easy Strawberry Sheetcake with Whipped Frosting Recipe - April 14, 2015
- Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies - March 24, 2015
- Chocolate M&M Cookies - March 11, 2015