A new savory use for our favorite fall flavor: this Make-Ahead Sausage and Pumpkin Penne Recipe can be made in advance and then simply warmed up in the oven right before time to serve.
I’m always up for a meal that can be prepared while the kids are at school and then cooked at my convenience. So when I saw the idea of a baked Pumpkin Pasta on Paula Deen I was all ears. I have tried a handful of varieties and this is definitely my favorite. Not a big fan of it with bacon, but the sausage hits just the right spot.
Baked Sausage and Pumpkin Penne Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken sausage
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pinch pepper flakes optional
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 ounces can pumpkin puree 15-
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup cream or evaporated milk optional
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves or 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 pound Penne pasta cooked to al dente
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese plus more for topping
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 9x13 baking pan.
In a deep skillet, heat oil over medium heat until it runs quickly in the pan.
Cook sausage and onion over medium heat until the sausage is cooked through.
Add garlic and sage and cook for 1 minute.
Add pumpkin, broth, salt and pepper.
Cook for 5 minutes until smooth and thickened.
Add milk/cream if desired.
Mix in cooked noodles.
Place in pan.
Sprinkle with extra cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes or refrigerate and bake for 35 minutes when ready to eat.